How do I become a coach?

Post questions or observations about Loricism in general that might not fit into one of the other categories.
CKai

How do I become a coach?

Post by CKai » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:06 pm

The title says it all. Is there a course or do you pick people? How does this all work?
Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Re: How do I become a coach?

Post by Daniel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Still working on the specifics, but it's going to be very similar to the way martial arts schools are run. If you think of the levels of Loricism like the belts, say, in BJJ, level three would be comparable to purple belt, and in some schools purple belt is where you're able to start teaching. So in order to coach, one must be a Level 3. But for time sensitivity purposes, I may open it up to Level 2 folks, maybe put together a coaching course, that way people can start running classes in their areas.

The biggest thing is maintaining a standard of quality that's consistent across the board. We need people who are competent and knowledgeable on the subject matter who can lead the classes. Their shit has to be together, so to speak. Not just knowing logic and communication and being able to facilitate discussions and lead exercises and stuff, but they should have an above-average grasp of the concepts of Ingenium as well as embody them. In other words, we can't have reckless people representing the philosophy.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Death Knell

Post by Death Knell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Is there going to be a way to do this remotely?

Rachel Umstrad
Tiro
Tiro

Post by Rachel Umstrad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm

What will the coaching entail exactly? Is this like Crossfit coaching or closer to the dojo type stuff you keep talking about? My two cents, I don't think you should do the coaching like Crossfit. Make it hard to be one. Like getting a black belt. And are you going to open this up to franchising or affiliates? What will that look like? Teams? Groups? Guilds?

Miss Tranton

Post by Miss Tranton » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 am

Daniel wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:14 pm
In some schools purple belt is where you're able to start teaching. So in order to coach, one must be a Level 3. But for time sensitivity purposes, I may open it up to Level 2 folks, maybe put together a coaching course, that way people can start running classes in their areas.
In the early days of Brazilian jiu jitsu there were some places that allowed more experienced blue belts to teach the material because they just didn't have access to the info, like maybe in remote areas. Now there's no need for that but it's an option.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Yeah we're probably going to have to do that to get this whole thing kick-started.

Death Knell

Post by Death Knell » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 pm

What's the status on this? And have you thought about how to run classes? For me, I can't see anyone wanting to come to a class on self-improvement or communication. Martial arts is easy to demonstrate. This feels a little more like a support group. "Bring a friend!" Type of thing.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Death Knell wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 pm
What's the status on this? And have you thought about how to run classes? For me, I can't see anyone wanting to come to a class on self-improvement or communication. Martial arts is easy to demonstrate. This feels a little more like a support group. "Bring a friend!" Type of thing.
That's the main hold-up really. I don't know how to facilitate it. I have tried to hold classes in my area, invited people and then had zero people show up. I don't know how to get people stoked about coming to a class on this stuff. So that is the missing link. And because I don't know how the classes are supposed to look, I don't know what a coach is going to look like. Does that make sense? I think a coaching program's syllabus should include how to coach people, not just the material.