The Book of Five Rings

Talk about the books on our recommended reading list.
Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

The Book of Five Rings

Post by Daniel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 pm

By Miyamoto Musashi. The Book of Five Rings is written by a Samurai who, for what it's worth, may have been the greatest swordsman to have ever lived, at least in Japan. The book details his process for winning battles, mostly focusing on his principles for strategy through five "rings" or approaches to strategy. Even though this book is about sword fighting, many of the ideas and methods in it have been discovered to be pertinent to all areas of life (and Musashi mentions this himself). It's sort of like how the Art of War can be used to be successful in business.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Veil

Re: The Book of Five Rings

Post by Veil » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:21 pm

I've read this. I think there are definitely some confusing parts that don't make sense to us in the modern day, like the way he describes different sword techniques. They're hard to picture. In that vein, the idea behind strategizing, and knowing strategy above all else, does certainly apply to everything else. The Way I think he calls it. You almost need to get one of the explainer books on this, like one of those that explains it as it applies to business or sport or something like that. It would be hard for me to try to relate this on my own.

Mik Darkashian

Re: The Book of Five Rings

Post by Mik Darkashian » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:25 am

I never got around to reading this until this past weekend. And I have to admit, it wasn't my thing. It's very focused on sword play, understandably, and I'm sure if I pondered on it I could apply the ideas to other things in life. I don't feel like putting that much energy into it though. I'd be more interested in seeing a book like "Book of Five Rings for X" instead. Let someone else do the work.