What is Viam Chao?

Discuss Viam Chao and other martial arts here.
Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

What is Viam Chao?

Post by Daniel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 am

Viam Chao (Latin "Way of Chaos) is a self-defence and fighting system developed to supplement Loricism that derived from a combination of techniques sourced from Boxing, Wrestling, Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kune Do, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and other street fighting techniques. It is similar in spirit to Krav Maga.

Viam Chao has a strong focus on aggression, strategy, practicality, and efficiency. The name, which means "Way of Chaos" in Latin (Latin to match Loricism naming conventions), is intended to highlight the core principle, which is to disrupt an opponent's strategy with psychology, pain, confusion, etc. Another essential component of the system is "concept over memorization." The approach is to teach concepts and ingrain them into practitioners so there is no forgetting in the heat of the moment.

Similar to Krav Maga, Viem Chao has a philosophy emphasizing aggression (predator-prey swap), simultaneous defensive and offensive maneuvers (disruption of intent through pain), misinformation and confusion (feints, fakes). It strives to be effective throughout all ranges of combat (far, mid, close) and in a variety of situations.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Mik Darkashian

Re: What is Viam Chao?

Post by Mik Darkashian » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 am

Why don't you just teach one of the existing styles?

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 am

Mik Darkashian wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 am
Why don't you just teach one of the existing styles?
This is a very valid question.

The truth is: I'm not authorized. All of my martial arts experience is an amalgamation of working with whoever I could find to work with for free in my younger days (I couldn't afford much formal training). I didn't get formal training until I got to New York. Anyway. I've discussed this previously with one of my mentors and teachers, Bruce Corrigan, who once suggested I open a school because he thought I'd be good at it. I mentioned that I do not hold a black belt in anything, and that people tend to care about that sort of thing (both customers and other teachers for established arts). For instance, I wouldn't want to teach something without earning a black belt in it first. It's an affront to those who put in the time.

He told me to do my own thing, basically. Teach anyway, but teach my own thing and then I won't run afoul of anybody.

I never did it, not until right now. So the reason for establishing this system is multifaceted: 1) I have my own thoughts and ideas and ways of teaching anyway, 2) I want to teach, and 3) most importantly, my primary goal was to teach Loricism. I needed something to wrap it in (candy with the medicine), because people weren't as interested in taking the Loricism straight up. They want Coke with their whiskey. So I figured why not offer it inside martial arts. It is most fitting that way.

So that is why. It is for Loricism. And I am not ashamed to disclose any of this. I realize creating anything new runs the risk of looking fraudulent, making me look like a con artist, someone who needs an ego boost, whatever. I figure if people think it's hokey, that's fine. If it becomes too much of an issue just put it to the test and demonstrate a thing is effective, then it becomes legit. At least that's what I think. I feel like anyone trying to be fraudulent wouldn't disclose this, they'd want you to think it's some ancient thing handed down. (see Ashida Kim)

The other main issue is that if I want to teach martial arts anywhere, what do I call it? People won't accept a sign that says, "Martial Arts" on the door. They have a need to know. "What martial arts style is it?" Like it or not, it's a business, and business requires marketing. And since I cannot use a name that exists, I must use a new one. I didn't want to use an eastern sounding name, or a military acronym style. So I made it match the Latin theme of Loricism.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:04 pm

And another reason I forgot to mention is I want to address some issues I see with martial arts today. I recognize that sounds audacious, and it is. Who the hell am I to say I can improve anything? All I can say is, we shall see.

Veil

Post by Veil » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:11 pm

I think it's not too much different than any other thing where people feel the market is flooded already. I've seen this with people asking about starting motorcycle clubs (Sons of Anarchy annoyed a lot of MCs), asking about making your own programming language, your own whatever. I'll use programming languages as my example. Do we really need another programming language? What does your language do that can't be done with an already existing language? Do you really understand programming enough to make your own language? Change this out with anything. I've seen this question asked of role-playing games. Basically, if someone is even asking the question, "Is it okay to create your own..." you can pretty much be sure they're inexperienced. An experienced person will know what and why and how and will just make a thing knowing to expect people to ask how it's different than ones already in existence. Allow me to save you some time.

- Do we really need another martial art?
- What does your martial art do that can't be done with an existing one?
- Do you really understand martial arts enough to make your own?

You're welcome.