What does Loricism say about killing another person?

Discuss Viam Chao and other martial arts here.
Vandersexxx

What does Loricism say about killing another person?

Post by Vandersexxx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:14 am

In self-defense? Not in self-defense? How do you decide which life is "worth more" than another?

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Re: What does Loricism say about killing another person?

Post by Daniel » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 pm

It doesn't say anything specifically. But one can probably work out a possible philosophy regarding the subject. If we are to apply reason, we must recognize that circumstances differ among cases (we have self-defense, premeditated murder, accidental killings, etc.). Do we have a right to defend ourselves? Does another have the right to take our life?

Why would we not have the right to defend our own lives or the lives of others? What is just? What if an attack on another is unjust? How do we know what is just from what is not? These are things that must be considered.

I'm almost certain that if we apply reason to the subject we will probably come close to what the law has concluded as well. After all, they use reason and evidence (hopefully) to work out the answer to the question: Was it justified?
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Mik Darkashian

Post by Mik Darkashian » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:58 pm

I cannot speak for Loricism, so this comes from my own reasoning. But asking "is the life of one worth more than another" isn't a good metric for this. In a self-defense scenario you will have Person A attacking Person B. If B kills A out of self-defense, and you ask them, "Is the life of B worth more than the life of A???" In such a case you are removing the context of the attack by A, and also neglecting to ask the same of A prior to the attack. Why does A get a pass for trying to take the life of B?

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:45 pm

Another thing to consider is that part of Ingenium is taking control of your life and recognizing that you are an important facet of it. In other words, valuing your life. I think doing nothing while another is trying to take your life is the opposite of that.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Veil

Post by Veil » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 am

So are you saying one is obligated to defend oneself against a violent attack? What if not doing so saves there's lives of others?