So can we still roast people?

Discuss communication, logic, rhetoric, assertiveness, speech, language, etc.
Mik Darkashian

So can we still roast people?

Post by Mik Darkashian » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:29 am

It seems like Loricism wouldn't be down with witty comebacks or roasts. I guess I'm thinking of it like aspiring to be something like the Dalai Lama. Or maybe it shows that you lack other communication skills? What are your thoughts, people.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Re: So can we still roast people?

Post by Daniel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:39 pm

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: it depends. Roasts are supposed to be humorous in nature. If there's no humor involved, it's just mean-spirited or an ad hominem. History is full of examples of witty comebacks, which is what I assume you are talking about. They can be good for disarming criticism or an attack from an opponent. Having a wittier comeback can make their attempts at a jab look feeble, but you can also do a self-roast, which demonstrates that you are especially unaffected by your opponent, and that you are nimble enough to generate them at will, which is a sign of intelligence and a foreshadowing of other tools in your arsenal. Winston Churchill, Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Voltaire. These are some examples of people who were good at this. Notice how many of them were satirists. Study satire to get good at this technique. Do it wrong and you can appear weaker than before, desperate, amateur, or insecure.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

CKai

Post by CKai » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:01 pm

This is good news. I thought I was going to have to quit Loricism and go back to Discordianism.
Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Why can't you do both?
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Death Knell

Post by Death Knell » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:40 pm

I think that's the important distinction here. It has to be funny or else it's mean-spirited. You have to make it clear to the recipient what your intentions are.