Idea of Best Ideas

Discuss communication, logic, rhetoric, assertiveness, speech, language, etc.
Vandersexxx

Idea of Best Ideas

Post by Vandersexxx » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:54 am

Can you expand upon this please? What is the "Idea of Best Ideas" and are there any criticisms of it? What are the flaws? What are the benefits? I would like to better understand.

Mik Darkashian

Re: Idea of Best Ideas

Post by Mik Darkashian » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm

I'll take the challenge of trying to explain it, insofar as I understand the concept. The Idea of Best Ideas is a core concept within Loricism. It simply states that all ideas can be improved. Because there is always room to improve and idea or concept, how do we do that? We must analyze ideas. We must study them, and put them to the test. This means finding an idea's flaws and weaknesses so that they may be fixed, or in some cases, and idea is replaced by a separate but better idea.

The reason this is important is because a lot of ideas get stuck because of ego. People often don't care about finding the best solution to a problem, they care about using their idea. We don't want that. So we separate ourselves from ideas, because once we input ourselves, the idea becomes rooted and you're less likely to be open to improving it.

Also, people hate having their ideas questioned or scrutinized. Why? Ego. Because they feel like you're attacking them. It's because they've attached their identity to the idea. So we want to teach people to avoid that.

So this lesson is one of the core concepts of Loricism. No idea is above scrutiny. Why would someone not want their idea questioned if it's supposedly superior? If it's a superior idea, it should hold up to scrutiny, right? Imagine someone saying they built a tire that could never go flat, only they got angry at anyone who wanted to test it. Sounds silly, right? That's what most people do with their ideas. Everyone thinks the things they know are all correct and right and the best. So we want you to detach yourself from the ideas so you are unaffected when people challenge the idea.

The other great thing about this is we think it's better to place your loyalty in logic, reason, truth, etc. This way when you put forth an idea that turns out to be flawed, your allegiance is with fixing the idea.

Lastly, yes, even Loricism is subject to this. That is why this is baked in. We don't want Loricism to become an ideology, stagnant. People become too dogmatic and they lose the capacity for reason. So this is one way we avoid that.

And yes, the Idea of Best Ideas is subject to scrutiny. If you find a flaw, we shall be delighted to know about it.

Vandersexxx

Post by Vandersexxx » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:04 pm

So basically it's that we should always be striving to find the best idea? Is that even possible? If the concept revolves around all ideas being improvable, then there is no such thing as a best idea. So that is one flaw, I think. But that flaw is just involving the name. The concept, to me, sounds good. I would change the name, though.

Death Knell

Post by Death Knell » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Vandersexxx wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:04 pm
So basically it's that we should always be striving to find the best idea? Is that even possible? If the concept revolves around all ideas being improvable, then there is no such thing as a best idea. So that is one flaw, I think. But that flaw is just involving the name. The concept, to me, sounds good. I would change the name, though.
This is an excellent point. A lot of people would fixate on this logic as a means to "disprove" it. And then people would believe them. Not to mention it's just sloppy. I agree, the name needs an upgrade. But that's the concept at work!

I recommend calling it semper amplio. It means always improve. It fits in with the other Latin stuff. And it can apply to more than just ideas. It's basically kaizen. If it sounds clunky, you could simply say, "We practice semper amplio with regards to ourselves, our ideas, and our world." Done and done. Treat it like they do eudaimonia.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Well done, everybody. Mik did a great job of summarizing the concept. It's that simply any idea can be improved. The idea is to place a higher value on the quality of the idea, rather than the person making it. Same thing with the ideas we choose to adopt in our lives. This is very much in line with the Bruce Lee example in physical martial arts. Take what is useful and reject what is not. Always evolve. Avoid the classical mess. And I admit that I wasn't actively trying to emulate this concept when I started, it just turned out to be so.

And I agree that the name can use an update. What DK suggested is perfect...unless anyone has a better idea. :)
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.