Society or the World?

Discuss cultura here, ways to improve our relationships and interactions with others. How can we be better members of society?
Veil

Society or the World?

Post by Veil » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:27 pm

I've seen it both ways.
Loricism = improving the self, improving ideas, improving the world.
Loricism = improving the self, improving ideas, improving society.

Which is it? I think either is fine but not both. The reason is because I have no idea what you mean. How? How do we do this? What does it look like in relation to the other two (self and ideas)? It seems different to me. I can see how to improve myself, incrementally, and I see how to improve ideas. But how is Loricism suggestion we improve the world? It's vague.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Re: Society or the World?

Post by Daniel » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:16 pm

This is a fantastic and very valid question. Why can't it be both, though? Let us, for the sake of argument, assume that they are two different things. What is society? A collection of people who are, more or less, governed by a set of principles, laws, traditions, and agreements that serve to enable them to live among one another in the most harmonious way? That is just what I came up with off the top of my head. Would it be safe to say that these things are all...social constructs? If so, that means that we must remember that they are all creations, and because of this there is always potential for a better way of doing things.

So how can you serve society? My intention with this was to remember all the things you strove to improve about yourself with ingenium. Why not help others improve themselves as well? Why not be less judgmental? Why not do more reflection? Etc. Would you not agree that some of the things you improve in yourself would not also benefit society at large? And if they do not benefit society, why? In what way? If not, why are we doing them ourselves?

Consider this, then consider what could be meant by replacing "society" with "world." Would the same concept apply? Why or why not?
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Vandersexxx

Post by Vandersexxx » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 pm

Can you separate society from the world? In terms of humanity, I mean? Of course, there are different societies within the world, but if you are talking of the natural world (as it exists outside of humanity), then the question of "does this help the world" becomes quite simple. I can plant a tree. I can remove garbage from the ocean. I can save an endangered species or protect a habitat. Etcetera. And if we are being truthful, would it not stand to reason that removal of humanity entirely would be the single greatest benefit to the natural world?

Mik Darkashian

Post by Mik Darkashian » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 pm

For my money, I would say those are some great distinctions between the two. Societal constructs vs the natural world. Both need help, in my opinion.