How do you change culture?

Discuss cultura here, ways to improve our relationships and interactions with others. How can we be better members of society?
Veil

How do you change culture?

Post by Veil » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:16 pm

That's my question. What are the ways to do this that don't involve being assholes like how culture used to be spread? Macchiaveli mentioned it's easier to allow a conquered people to keep their old traditions, then they don't even care who is in charge after a bit. They are less likely to resist. This is also why holiday traditions get recycled. It's easier to keep the celebration and just say it's about Jesus or whatever now. Then there's indoctrination and spreading culture by force (see Spanish conquistadors "sharing" Catholicism with native Americans). Or by official decree (see Constantine making Christianity the official religion or the start of the Church of England). So how can you get a big enough change in culture without having some kind of decree or revolution of force?

Death Knell

Re: How do you change culture?

Post by Death Knell » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 pm

I think it has to be done by setting the example, first and foremost. It's that whole "be the change you want to see in the world" type thing. The worst thing ever for a movement is for people to be hypocrites, it kills all credibility. I guess you have to create a space where people can practice and learn the material on a regular basis, not just to learn it but to stay current on it. Stay fresh. I think presenting it the same way as martial arts is a solid move.

For the individual you get a lot more practice and application, so setting the example is easier that way. People should be able to look at a Level 3 or 4 or even a Level 2 and say, "It's easy to see that person is squared away." Eventually maybe people will be able to recognize a Loric by their mannerisms and bearing. The way they conduct themselves. So that's part of it.

Develop a community of likeminded folks and grow it. Set the example. Others in the group are more likely to attempt some standard of behavior when their peers are doing it too. I think that's what is meant by culture here.

Miss Tranton

Post by Miss Tranton » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 am

The problem I see is that if you want to influence the culture with your ideas, you have to share that information in the right way. You can't be condescending to people who aren't in the know or you'll just turn them off to what you're trying to say. You have to be willing to teach and be non-judgemental. You have to be patient. It's not a overnight thing.

Mik Darkashian

Post by Mik Darkashian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Miss Tranton wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 am
The problem I see is that if you want to influence the culture with your ideas, you have to share that information in the right way. You can't be condescending to people who aren't in the know or you'll just turn them off to what you're trying to say. You have to be willing to teach and be non-judgemental. You have to be patient. It's not a overnight thing.
This right here. Dan talks about hacking the human condition in order to get the most mileage out of it. Basically, you need to bring people in. Be inclusive. People have an intrinsic desire to be a part of a group, so if you truly want to change culture, you have to find a way to make people feel wanted and included. Valued. This is how religion does it, it's how cults find people, it's how extremist groups do it. Except lots of groups take advantage of those who are on the edges, the loners, the ostracized. They capitalize on their resentment or their anger and use it. We of course don't want to do that, but that's the best way to spread an idea. Make it a solid idea and include others in that idea.

Mik Darkashian

Post by Mik Darkashian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Death Knell wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 pm
The worst thing ever for a movement is for people to be hypocrites, it kills all credibility.
This is why it's so easy to discredit any movement that is gaining traction. Take a non-violent movement and paint the majority as violent. Or, sometimes they'll actually plant provocateurs to sow chaos and cause violence and damage to discredit a movement. Paint people as criminals. Dehumanize them. Etc. Hard to build a reputation, easy to wreck one. I think the way forward if this sort of thing happens is to double down on the denunciation of any behavior that doesn't fit the virtues and value system your idea is trying to promote.

That's actually one of the problems I have with Jordan Peterson. His follows act like assholes to people who disagree with him - and I'm not blaming HIM specifically for it - but he never denounces the behavior. He never tells them not to do that, so in a way he appears to be complicit. So he loses credibility for me.