Cultural appropriation

Discuss cultura here, ways to improve our relationships and interactions with others. How can we be better members of society?
Miss Tranton

Cultural appropriation

Post by Miss Tranton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:00 am

How does cultural appropriation fit into the equation?

Veil

Re: Cultural appropriation

Post by Veil » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 am

I think people forget to include intent when they get upset by this.

CKai

Post by CKai » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am

What is it? I think that's an important place to start. What is cultural appropriation? I think people don't ever ask that question, and because they don't know - or don't want to know - it becomes easy to shove everything and anything you want into that hole, even if it doesn't fit. In this day and age, nobody asks that question, because the goal is not to be reasonable or find the truth, but to demonstrate that you're outraged by a thing so that others know you're one of the good guys.
Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?

RJ Cleinder

Post by RJ Cleinder » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:01 am

Appropriation is the act of taking something for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission. Stealing, essentially. In the case of a culture, each case is debatable with regards to the second part of the equation. Some will always consider any other culture using its style, etc. as theft. Others of that culture will claim that it is fine, thereby giving permission. And yet neither faction can rightly claim to speak for the whole. As to the first portion, intent *should* be considered, yet for many it won't matter. Some people need things to complain about. Some claims of appropriation are apt. I do not believe all instances of what might be considered such actually are. The world is a melting pot. Our language itself appropriates words and phrases from many other cultures, and any who would be upset by this would probably be hard-pressed to demonstrate that their own primary language did not do likewise. Does this end with fashion? Or does it extend to cuisine? How about activities? Can I still practice yoga? Or karate? How about learning another language in and of itself? Etcetera.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Be reasonable about it. What is the intention behind it? Are you being an asshole by doing the thing that means a lot to the other culture? Are you being an asshole by drawing a hard line in the sand with regards to something? Or can people of other cultures enjoy something?

If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, ask yourself if you really want to segregate everyone and everything by culture? Not everything is black and white. That is the easy path for those who are too lazy to think, or have a point to make, some persona to portray for onlookers.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Death Knell

Post by Death Knell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 am

You have to take everyone's complaints these days with a grain of salt.