What is eudaimonia?

Post questions or observations about Loricism in general that might not fit into one of the other categories.
Miss Tranton

What is eudaimonia?

Post by Miss Tranton » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:22 am

I see this word a lot in philosophy forums, especially on the topic of Stoicism. Do any other systems have it? What does it mean? Does Loricism have something like it?

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Re: What is eudaimonia?

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:41 am

I believe it means "well-being" in Greek. I don't know a lot about it actually, but from what I understand it means one's ideal state, a state of happiness, etc. This is a great article I found on the subject here.

https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/eudaimonia/
Eudaimonia (also known as Eudaemonism) is a Greek word, which refers to a state of having a good indwelling spirit or being in a contented state of being healthy, happy and prosperous. In moral philosophy, eudaimonia is used to refer to the right actions as those that result in the well-being of an individual. In this case, well-being becomes an essential value.

In a more literal sense, eudaimonia means to have a good guardian spirit. As the ultimate goal, eudaimonia is an objective state rather than a subjective state, which characterizes a well-lived life regardless of the emotional state of the one experiencing it. In a more general sense, eudaimonia can be perceived as any theory that places the personal happiness of an individual and his or her complete life at the core of ethical concern.
I haven't written much about this for Loricism, per se, but I would say that this can be characterized in two ways. The first, it is what is meant by cultivating Vitality. Basically, vitality in Loricism is one's health from a physical, mental, and spiritual standpoint. This is the basic sense. When taken in conjunction with the other virtues of Ingenium, the goal is to create a sense of contentment in an individual, as one will then have the tools by which to create a fulfilled life.

I don't believe this concept is unique to Stoicism. If you gander at that article, it would seem Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, et al were familiar with the concept. I just think they had different approaches to getting there, much in the same way we today all have varying methods and approaches for what constitutes "healthy" in an individual.

A more in-depth article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudaimonia
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

sven
Site Admin

Post by sven » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:50 am

I definitely think you should write more about this.

Veil

Post by Veil » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:59 pm

sven wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:50 am
I definitely think you should write more about this.
I concur. This topic could help a lot of people. And it feels like the spirit of this as well. A philosophy that is meant to help people live and bring good things to their lives. I had never heard of this before, so thank you all for the links.