Loric awards/endorsements?

Post questions or observations about Loricism in general that might not fit into one of the other categories.
Death Knell

Loric awards/endorsements?

Post by Death Knell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 pm

I was just thinking the other day about things like the Nobel Peace Prize. Sometimes it goes to someone worthy, other times it seems to go to someone it shouldn't. This caused me to think about a yearly Loricism prize, something that could be given out to a person who promotes character, reason, and justice. Ignore the logistics of this for now. My question is this: clearly some people will disagree with the choices, and if it turns out that the award was given to, say, a monster of a human (or they eventually became an asshole, like Hitler), how would you handle that? It seems like no matter what, people are quick to dig up dirt and then they use it to completely wash away all the other actions a person has taken. I don't think anyone on the planet is immune from this. Maybe the Dalai Lama. Who knows.

Veil

Re: Loric awards/endorsements?

Post by Veil » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:03 pm

I recommend something along the lines of what Daniel posted today on Facebook. Even though it specifically refers to Justice, I think the sentiment is apt.
Lastly, people often conflate things these days. Just because I defend someone does not mean I endorse that person or their ideology, or any other thing. It simply means I give a fuck about Justice.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 pm

I think this is a fantastic idea, but yeah. I can totally imagine the uproar if we voted for someone like Joe Rogan. Stupid people everywhere would denounce Loricism without ever having looked into it. :D
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Death Knell

Post by Death Knell » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Some people I know HATE Joe Rogan, and I can't really understand why. It's not like he's controversial. I view him as completely center, moderate, reasonable. He leans left, but has some right-leaning views. He's not a dickhead. I think it's simply because he sometimes has right-wing people on his show and he doesn't throw a tantrum at them. People also have a hard time not assuming someone is in the same tribe as another simply because they are having a discussion and don't get outraged at every little thing. I find it interesting to know that it's only my left-wing friends who dislike him.

Rachel Umstrad
Tiro
Tiro

Post by Rachel Umstrad » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:48 pm

I think you would absolutely have to release a disclaimer or statement with each one. It won't work on everybody, but it will stem the bleeding.