What does Loricism say about adversity?

Post questions or observations about Loricism in general that might not fit into one of the other categories.
Miss Tranton

What does Loricism say about adversity?

Post by Miss Tranton » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:33 am

I recently started looking into Stoicism and Epicureanism. It seems they both have a different approach. What does Loricism say about it?

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Re: What does Loricism say about adversity?

Post by Daniel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:03 am

Well, for one, the object is to overcome the adversity in one way or another. Adversity is like a whetstone. You sharpen a knife by grinding it against the whetstone. So adversity is a good thing, in that our responses to it often lead us to grow in some way. We learn to realize that we are capable of handling it. We also become more accustomed to the things that make us uncomfortable, and we learn to surpass them, which increases our comfort zone.

Let us look at this issue another way. Consider that we have pain, stress, discomfort, adversity, etc. Let us simply call it stress. There are three possible responses to stress.

1. Avoid the stress.
2. Endure the stress.
3. A combination of both.

I'm not much experienced with Epicureanism as I am with Stoicism, but I will give this a basic go. In Epicureanism, the object is to avoid pain and move toward pleasure. So that would cover the first option. In Stoicism, it teaches to stop reacting to things that are beyond our control. It seems more austere to me, but that system would be great for learning to endure the stress. Of course, these are both very basic concepts being applied to two well-contemplated schools of thought. The third option, is sort of like removing some of the stress in your life and learning to endure the rest.

Loricism has both approaches included. It teaches you to do things that bring you joy (spiritual Vitality). It teaches you to cut out the things that bring you stress which are easy to cut out (80/20 principle). It also teaches you to face things like your fears and to temper your emotions, and learn to better control our own thoughts. We don't run from responsibility, which is often stressful, we simply endure it as Duty. For example, if you absolutely hate your job, Loricism recommends enduring the job in order to handle your responsibility, but make choices that lead you to a more fulfilling solution.

To sum this up, Loricism advises to learn to deal with adversity, embrace the adversity that will make you grow. A lot of suffering is self-inflicted. So if a part of your life is miserable, you can either lessen your suffering by changing your mindest about it, or you can change your circumstance. So we recommend both. We don't recommend avoiding discomfort simply because it's uncomfortable.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.