What about fame, glory, riches, etc?

Post questions or observations about Loricism in general that might not fit into one of the other categories.
RJ Cleinder

What about fame, glory, riches, etc?

Post by RJ Cleinder » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:51 pm

From what I can tell, most of the base stuff you seem to advocate in this system revolves around taking control over the direction of your life, which I see as a generally good thing. The core virtues are used to "achieve the life you want." What happens when someone desires fame, riches, accolades, attention, glory, a whole bunch of sexual partners, etc? Do you consider these to be vices? How does the system account for this?

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Re: What about fame, glory, riches, etc?

Post by Daniel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:13 pm

This is a fair question, and of course I plan to address it in the materials when I get to those parts specifically. Indeed, Loricism is intended to start with the individual, and give them tools to clear away any self-induced obstacles for success (whatever that may be to them). For example, doubt is one such obstacle. So the first trait, or virtue, the system covers is Adequacy, intended to give people a sense of confidence and the core belief that they can achieve what they want in life. It stands to reason that this particular virtue wouldn't apply to someone who has an excess of confidence. The people will high self-confidence would instead be focused on whatever other obstacles they struggle with.

Second, some of the other traits covered in the system would address some of the natural extremes you mention. Temperance and Reflection, for example. Reflection would enable such an individual to maintain their grounding, and be able to see their own limitations. This is not typical of people who struggle with grandiosity. They do not think they have flaws, or limits, and so when things go awry as a result of their own issues with this, they blame others (another thing Reflection is designed to curtail). So everything is a balancing act.

The other thing is that the system is non-judgmental. Meaning it's up to the individual what they want out of life, but it strives to teach them to look deeper into the why and the how of what they think and do. How they got here. Theoretically if one works on all 12 of the core traits, they will naturally gravitate away from any extremes on either end, as they should be able to clearly see the dangers there.

Lastly, assume that someone's goal for their own life involves doing harm to others in order to get what they want. That would not be compatible, because of the virtue Justice. In such a case the system is designed to help them find a different way to achieve the result without the injustice. For example, one can still seek a rich lifestyle without screwing people over, lying, scamming, etc. We mustn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Imagine a person who derives fulfillment and satisfaction from helping people monetarily. Such a person might see a path where they can help more people if they had greater means of doing so.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.

Mik Darkashian

Post by Mik Darkashian » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 am

In my experience a lot of people who caution you against fame or riches are those who secretly desire the same thing but don't want to do the work, so it is a subtle way of sabotaging you. They'll talk about ambition as if it's a terrible thing.

Daniel
Opifex
Opifex

Post by Daniel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:51 am

Mik Darkashian wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 am
In my experience a lot of people who caution you against fame or riches are those who secretly desire the same thing but don't want to do the work, so it is a subtle way of sabotaging you. They'll talk about ambition as if it's a terrible thing.
Yeah, this is also something to watch out for.
The hallmark of a fool is a mind that never changes.